Tapping in its standard form is a remarkably fast way to release issues — much faster than other types of therapy. And meridian tapping works really quickly to eliminate fears and unhelpful beliefs. You can work with these issues and obstacles one at a time and get great, lasting results.
But did you know that there are times when it works just as well to cluster issues together? You can tap on several things at the same time and get rid of all of them at once.
When To Cluster
It’s important to use this Clearing Clusters technique with care. It’s not always appropriate. That means you won’t get good results with tapping if you choose this shortcut at the wrong time. Here are some successful times to use this.
If you experienced similar repeated episodes of the same unwanted or traumatic events, you can cluster them together and tap on the whole cluster.
Note that the events must be closely related — all the times you got yelled at by your high school coach. Or all the times your brother beat you up. It won’t work to try to cluster all the times ANYBODY hollered at you when you were little. Stick to repeated interactions with one person (or one group).
Lists of Fears
You can use Clearing Clusters on any list of related fears or anxieties. For instance, if you’re dreading your presentation tomorrow, write down all your fears or worries that come up when you think about it. Or if you find yourself putting off doing a particular thing, ask yourself what you might be concerned about that has you stalling. Then tap away that whole list.
Again, the concerns must be naturally connected in order for this to work. And their common thread must be specific. So it won’t work to try to list every fear you can think of that keeps you habitually procrastinating on everything.
But Clearing Clusters WILL work if you choose a single project you’re putting off, and identify your fears connected to that.
Old beliefs that no longer serve you often come in clusters. So this is a speedy way to eliminate them. There are two different ways you can group beliefs to tap them away.
Group By Topic: An example of a topic would be getting hired for a job. Just write down the list of interfering beliefs that bog you down — whatever that unhelpful gremlin in your head says: They’ll never hire me. Everyone else is more qualified. I never get the job I want. — You get the idea.
Group By Origin: Here’s where you cluster beliefs that originated from one person or group. So if you hear someone’s voice in your head all the time telling you things that don’t help, write down that list. Maybe it’s a parent, an influential teacher or religious figure; maybe a list of cultural beliefs.
How You Clear Those Clusters – Getting Started
Just follow these simple steps to use EFT on your cluster of challenges:
- Read through your list out loud.
- Assess your emotional intensity on the list as a whole – the entire cluster. Use a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the highest emotional charge. Write the number down.
- Do the setup, saying, Even though I have this whole list of ____________ (fears about my job / times Harvey hit me / limiting beliefs from Grandma), I love and accept myself.
- Tap one round of all these _______________ (job fears / times he hit me / Grandma beliefs).
- Tap one or more rounds, reading off one list item at each point as you tap. Tap as many rounds as it takes to get through your list.
- Stop tapping and reassess your intensity. Write down your new number.
Continue With Your Tapping
Have a drink of water before you get started again ….
- Do your revised setup, saying Even though I still have some of this _________, I love and accept myself anyway.
- Tap one round of These remaining ______________ (times, fears, beliefs).
- Now tap a few rounds addressing your emotions about the list — just your negative feelings related to your cluster.
- Next, tap a few rounds encouraging yourself to release what’s left: I’m ready to let this go. I’m allowing myself to release all of this. I want to be free of this _______. And give voice to the reluctant part of you, too — arguing back and forth: No I don’t. It’s not safe to let go. Yes I DO want to release this. I’m not sure. Yes I am. I’m releasing the rest of this right now. I give myself permission to let go of all of it, etc., etc.
- Reassess your intensity. Write down your new number.
Finish It Off
Zero in on the last remaining bits of that cluster.
- Ask yourself what accounts for most of the intensity that’s left. Is it just a general feeling? Or is there a particular focus? Are 1 or 2 of your original items responsible for the remaining emotional charge? Get a clear idea of either the general or specific focus of your leftover emotions. Knowing that and tuning into it before you tap again will get you faster results.
- Tap away any remaining charge on your cluster — all the way down to zero.
Test Your Results
Make sure you’re completely done with this clearing. Go back to your original list. Read the items off one by one, and check for any emotional intensity whatsoever. If you run across anything, just tap that item down to zero.
Add Clearing Clusters To Your Tapping Toolkit
With a little practice, this technique will flow naturally for you. And you’ll see how it can save you a lot of time as you move on through your healing.