It’s totally possible to stay sharp and stay cool at the same time. Is this hard for you to believe? If so, you’re sure not alone. So many people think they’ll lose their edge if they release their tension.
What’s Your Version?
This misconception shows in several forms. Which thought rings true for you?
- If I release this tension, I’ll lose my competitive drive.
- If I let go of this tension, my dancing/singing/acting performance will be flat.
- If I don’t have this tension, I’ll lose my motivation to work/sell/finish this project.
- I need this tension to make my video/podcast/speaking presentation really lively.
The Real Truth
Tension is constrictive and driven by anxiety or fear. Tension is completely separate from performance energy. Many people believe that losing the tension means losing that juicy electric showtime energy, so they hang onto both. This myth is reinforced by athletic coaches, teachers in performing arts, speech coaches, sales trainers . . . the list goes on. They don’t mean any harm – they just have never experienced anything else.
If you’re in the group of myth believers, consider another possibility. With tapping it’s completely possible to release the constricting impact of tension while keeping the energetic charge of positive performing or motivational energy.
How You Do It
You can easily split your tapping up into three parts:
- Tap away your concern or limiting belief that you’ll lose your edge if you release your fears.
- Tap away your fears regarding the performance or event or speech or sale.
- Tap in affirmations to strengthen your positive energy – that performance electricity that other people connect with.
Calm + performance energy = powerful magnetism. Once you’ve tapped away tension resulting from fears and anxiety, you’re left with a foundational state of calm. There’s no energy drain for you from the adrenaline of fear charging around your body.
The excitement energy that propels you forward in any type of performance is pure and strong. People just gravitate towards it. And your energy is strengthened because it’s all coming from a positive center.
EFT is hands down the best tool for eliminating performance anxiety. Click here to check out EFT for Dissolving Stage Fright.