- HOW DOES EFT WORK? Founder Gary Craig’s foundational statement for EFT is “The cause of all negative emotions is a disruption in the body’s energy system.” EFT clears that disruption, thereby clearing the negative emotion. How it unhooks emotional triggers connected to past traumas is a more involved process. I’m content to say that I don’t know exactly HOW it works, but I’m certain that it DOES work. If you’re interested in the multiple theories out there, I encourage you to Google it. Researchers from all kinds of fields are trying to figure it out, and I’ll be glad to pass on any information I hear about.
- WHERE DID EFT COME FROM? Founder Gary Craig developed EFT in the early 90s after studying Thought Field Therapy with psychologist Roger Callahan. Gary then used his engineering background to vastly simplify Callahan’s system. He also used his expertise in NeuroLinguistic Programming (NLP) to augment his streamlined tapping system. EFT continues to evolve as practitioners make their own discoveries and add to the huge body of knowledge making up EFT today.
- WHY DO PEOPLE USE DIFFERENT TAPPING POINTS? There are 14 primary meridians, or energy channels, in the body. Some practitioners access only 9 meridians by omitting the top of the head, liver, and wrist points. Studies show that tapping on all 14 speeds up the process, so that’s what I teach and what I use with my clients. Since fingertips have meridian endpoints in them, by using all fingers when we tap, we hit those meridian points without having to actually tapping on the fingers themselves (as taught in the original EFT manual).
- WHICH SIDE DO I TAP ON? I’ve found that tapping on both sides at the same time speeds up the process. However, tapping with one hand works, too. And one side is as effective as the other. The important thing is to tap! So do what’s comfortable for you.
- WHY DO I NEED TO FIND MY EMOTIONAL INTENSITY LEVEL (NUMBER)? It’s important to know where you’re starting from, whether you’re making progress (or not), and when you’re done. This number lets you accurately measure that. “I feel better” isn’t enough. If we don’t get the intensity level down to zero, that level may rise somewhat at a later time. However, when the number gets down to zero, chances are very good that the negative emotions are gone PERMANENTLY. Why settle for less?
- WHAT IF I DON’T KNOW THE EMOTIONAL INTENSITY NUMBER? Thinking hard about it doesn’t help, because you want a number from inside yourself and not just from your head. A great way to get that number is to quickly say, “I don’t know what my number is, but if I had to guess, I would say it’s a _____.” That number is nearly always very accurate. And with practice, you’ll be able to easily come up that number
- WHY SAY NEGATIVE THINGS? Stating the problem alerts your energy system to the location of the energy disruption so it can be cleared. By giving a voice to the issue, we’re bringing it to the surface so that it can be healed.
- HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO CLEAR MY PROBLEM? This depends on many variables. A simple, one-faceted issue may be resolved in one session. However, there may be several aspects to an issue. Or it may take approaching the problem from different angles to find the true CORE issue. In those cases, it may take more than one session, or an extended session to completely neutralize the concern.
- WHY DO I SOMETIMES FEEL WORSE AFTER MY SESSION? Sometimes clearing one issue out of the way allows another to surface, which may have negative emotions attached to it. It’s important to know that YOU’RE IN CHARGE. It’s your body-mind system, so you can simply make a note of that new discovery and set an intention to take care of it at a later time. It’s a great piece of information to have — that you now have easy access to healing this additional issue. It’s close to the surface now. And you have a choice about whether or not to let it take over your emotions. Make a plan with your practitioner or with yourself to clear that issue out, and choose to return to the calm you felt from clearing the issue you just felt. It works!
When you’re ready to work towards your excellence, click here to email me, or call me at 805-835-5566 to discuss options available to you.