This is a critical step in the EFT process. If you want to get good results when you’re starting out, you need to choose the issue carefully. Otherwise, you may be disappointed in your results. And we don’t want that.
So there are 2 important things to remember here.
1. Pick a simple issue.
A simple issue is current (not chronic). And a simple issue has one aspect to it – one component.
Here are some examples of what is simple and what’s not:
- Simple: pain in your neck from sleeping in a weird position.
- Not simple: chronic pain in your neck from an accident 3 years ago.
- Simple: anger at the dentist who kept you waiting for 40 minutes.
- Not simple: anger at your father for how he treated you as a boy
- Simple: reluctance to start mowing the lawn
- Not simple: reluctance to leave a bad relationship
It’s not that EFT won’t work on all those issues. It’s just that complex and chronic issues require more skill and expertise with EFT. So when you’re starting out, stick to simple issues.
2. The second criteria for your issue is that it is specific.
Choose an issue that applies to one event, one pain, one person. You don’t want it to be too general.
Again, here are some examples of what is specific and what’s not:
- Specific: headache over my eyes
- Too general: feeling bad today
- Specific: craving for chips
- Too general: poor self control
- Specific: worry about tomorrow’s meeting
- Too general: anxiety
It’s true that EFT can work for those general issues, but it takes a skilled practitioner to know how to get to specific aspects of the general issue so they can be cleared with tapping.
Now that you have chosen your issue, choose a short reminder phrase to use while tapping. It’s just a 2- or 3-word phrase to keep you tuned into your issue. For instance, “knee pain,” or “this anger,” or “lawn problem.” Keep it short and easy to say because you’ll be saying it a lot.
So For Step 1 – Choose Your Issue, pick a simple and specific challenge to tap on. Then create a short reminder phrase about it.
Now it’s time to move on to Step 2 – Measure Your Intensity.
You can get complete EFT instructions in one place — downloadabe and printable for reference. Just sign up below. You’ll get immediate free access to a 17-page ebook with links to all the videos so you can watch any time for review.