Some parts of trusting yourself are about your confidence in making choices and decisions – and trusting your judgment. That’s what we’ll deal with today, along with ways that tapping can help.
The first common challenge is that I don’t trust myself because I might make a mistake. Another is I don’t trust myself because I had a bad outcome in the past.
Let’s start with that first concern that I don’t trust myself because I might make a mistake. I can’t be sure of the outcome of my actions, so I don’t trust myself. With this one, uncertainty of results gets translated into I can’t trust myself to make a choice.
You need to begin by separating the facts from the feelings – which I know is easier said than done. But really – it’s a fact that you might make a mistake. You might make a choice that results in something unwanted. That’s a possibility. There’s always some risk involved – no matter what you choose. That’s a fact.
Where this becomes a problem that can keep you stuck is if you believe that in order to trust yourself, you need 100% certainty of the outcome of your choice. So let’s shift that to something that will support you.
To help build trust in yourself, let’s tap on the fears and beliefs associated with being untrustworthy because you might make a mistake.
We’ll start with addressing the challenge with tapping, and then we’ll move on to using EFT about the solution.
How To Tap On This
Setup (karate chop point)
- Even though I don’t trust myself because I might make a mistake, I want to love and accept myself anyway.
- Even though I don’t trust myself because I can’t be sure what’s going to happen, I want to respect myself and all my feelings.
- Even though I don’t trust myself because I’m afraid I’ll do it wrong, I want to love and respect myself.
Tapping – The Challenge (tap around all the points)
- I don’t trust myself.
- I can’t trust that I’ll make a good choice.
- I can’t guarantee I’ll make a good choice.
- I don’t trust my judgment.
- I’m afraid I’ll make a mistake.
- I just can’t trust that I’ll do it right.
- I can’t make a choice.
- I’m stuck right here because I can’t trust myself.
- What if I screw it by making the wrong choice?
- I have no faith that I can choose the right thing.
- I’m no good at making choices.
- I can’t guarantee how it’s going to turn out.
- What if I make things worse?
- I’d be crazy to trust myself. I made such a poor choice in the past.
- I refuse to make a decision, because I’m so afraid it will be a bad one.
- What was I thinking? I thought I knew what I was doing.
- But it turned out really bad. I’m not going to do that again.
- My judgment really stinks.
- I can’t be trusted to make a wise choice.
- I’m not going to make a decision.
- Just forget about the whole thing.
- Maybe I’ll deal with it later.
- I obviously don’t know what I’m doing.
- My choices can’t be trusted.
- That is so crystal clear to me.
- I made a bad choice before, so I’ll probably make a bad choice now. Forget it.
OK. Now you’ve moved out some of the negative thoughts and feelings, and of course if there’s more left, continue tapping on it until the emotional intensity is down to at least a 3 on a scale of 1-10.
When you’re ready, move on to tapping some more affirmative phrases. Here are some to get you started.
Tapping Towards the Positive (tap around all the points)
- I choose to realize that this is a brand new situation.
- I honor myself for what I’ve learned from the past.
- I choose to bring my wisdom forward to this new decision.
- I’m allowing myself to relax into a calm place.
- I’m a grown up and I’m in charge of my life.
- It’s scary sometimes, but I love the strength and peace of knowing that.
- I’m choosing to use my resources to make my decisions.
- One resource is my past experience.
- I choose to use that in a way that supports me.
- I’m letting go of the old fears connected to it.
- I’m choosing to open myself to new possibilities.
- It’s a new day, I’m a new person, and I have new resources and new people in my life.
- I choose to bring them all to the table now.
- Wow! There’s so much on my side.
- I’m allowing myself to relax and open up.
- Hey – what’s not to trust?
- I’m choosing to trust that I make wise choices for myself.
Let us know how this works for you by leaving a comment below!
And if you find yourself stuck, contact me and together, we’ll get to the bottom of the issue.