Maybe you experience envy often, or maybe just every once in awhile. For some people it’s almost an automatic response. Whatever the case, it’s an uncomfortable feeling, and EFT is a great way to shift that.
Let’s start by digging a little bit deeper into this whole envy thing. It’s actually a form of fear of not having enough. You feel envy when somebody else has something you want and you think that there’s some problem with you getting it — either you’re not going to get it or it’s going to take too long. And then your head can start playing with thoughts like: “They don’t deserve it and I do. Why don’t I have it? Why do they have it?”
It’s a reaction that can run from a mild twinge of envy to being obsessed with it and angry and contemptuous towards the other person, maybe making unpleasant remarks about the person who has what you have – all the way to trying to get other people to join with you on hating the person who has more money or the perfect body or the dream home or whatever it is that you want.
All of this is just a feeling response to an observation. The cool thing about that is that you can choose different feelings – a different response. That’s where EFT can come in handy – to eliminate the unwanted feelings so you’re just left with your observation that somebody has something you want.
It’s Not All Bad
That doesn’t have to be a negative feeling. Envy can be turned on its head where you notice that you’re feeling a little bit of it and just back up. Now you’re just noticing that this is something that you want.
That’s not bad to notice that. Your noticing could turn into a goal or an objective of yours. Or you might ask yourself if you really do want it and why you want it. That’s what we’re going to do with tapping, to put you back in a position of choice about how you emotionally respond to noticing something that you want that somebody else has.
How To Tap On This
Setup (karate chop point)
- Even though I have this envy and all this stuff connected to it, I want to love and accept myself anyway.
- Even though I have this envy and I’m a little embarrassed and anxious and frustrated about it, I still want to accept myself and accept my feelings.
- Even though I have this envy that’s been with me for a long time, I want to love and accept myself anyway.
Tapping – The Challenge (tap around all the points)
- All this envy and everything connected to it.
- This feeling that I can’t help it.
- Feeling embarrassed about it.
- The ways I blame other people and circumstances.
- This painful envy.
- I just want what other people have. Is that so bad?
- I think I should be able to have it too.
- It’s not fair that they have it and I don’t.
- I’m afraid I’ll never get it.
- I deserve things. Why don’t I have them?
- Some people have all the luck.
- What did they do to deserve it?
- Aren’t I as good as they are?
- I should have it instead of them.
- All this envy – it makes me feel like a kid.
Tapping Towards the Positive (tap around all the points)
- I’m choosing to shift my perspective.
- It’s OK to notice what I want.
- That’s helping me to focus my energy.
- I’m choosing to let go of this negativity about what I want.
- I’m in charge, and that’s my decision.
- It’s nice to notice what I want. It’s natural to compare myself to other people.
- That helps me know what I want for myself.
- I’m choosing freedom from the fear of never getting it.
- I say let’s both have it. That feels really good!
- I’m looking forward to the possibility of a whole new perspective on this.
- I can use envy in a positive way.
- That’s what I’m choosing for myself.
- I don’t need to beat myself up for feeling a little envy.
- And I don’t need to get carried away with it.
- I choose to use it as a signal to say, Oh. That’s something that I want.
- Then I can focus on how to make it happen. That’s my choice!
If this is a bigger issue for you, contact me for a free consult to discuss possibilities for going deeper with EFT. Let’s shift this challenge to get you where you want to be!