Everybody runs into a snag at some point with deciding — whether it’s a chronic problem or just a once-in-a-while thing. Sometimes it’s a real problem. EFT can be such a big help with the process, so you can get moving again.
Choosing to Not Decide
Let’s talk first about NOT making a decision. Can you see that this in itself is actually making a decision? You’re deciding to NOT decide. And that’s not always a bad thing. Maybe a wise part of you knows that you need more information to make an educated choice. OK. Nothing wrong with that.
Just be willing to see that you’re making a choice to not decide. When you accept that, next you can ask yourself WHY you’re not deciding. The answers will help you move forward. And those answers are all tappable. Cool! I know you’ve heard me say this before, but here it is again: Let go of any self-blame about it. Self-blame really keeps you stuck, and makes issues harder to release.
The Perfect Decision for All Time
Another block to making decisions is the belief that the decision will be chiseled in stone once you make it. If you think you have to make a decision that you can stick by no matter what, that’s a lot of pressure.
That’s why you stall out – you have an inner going on between the part that thinks your decision needs to stand for all time, and the part that knows it may need to change. The answer? Build in a margin of flexibility. That’s what relieves the pressure. It doesn’t mean you’re making a weak decision with no real backbone to it. It means you live in reality and want to bring all your best to what you do – including modifying decisions when called for.
How To Tap On This
Setup (karate chop point)
- Even though I have big concerns about making decisions, and they are getting in my way, I want to love and accept myself anyway.
- Even though I have these negative feelings and beliefs about making decisions, I appreciate who I am and I want to appreciate my feelings.
- Even though I have all this decision stuff that’s been bothering me for a long time, I want to love and accept myself anyway.
Tapping – The Challenge (tap around all the points)
- All this decision stuff holding me back.
- These fears about deciding.
- Afraid I can’t do anything about it.
- Feeling ashamed and embarrassed about it.
- This decision anxiety.
- What’s the matter with me?
- This frustration about deciding.
- This pain about making decisions.
- I’m afraid to make a decision.
- What if I make the wrong choice?
- Maybe if I wait long enough, somebody else will decide.
- I’ve made bad decisions in the past. What if I do that again?
- I need to make the perfect choice.
- Forget about it. I’ll just decide later.
- I feel like such a wimp.
- Why am I so indecisive?
- It’s just a part of who I am.
- What will other people think of my decision?
- It’s all too much pressure. I just can’t decide.
OK. Now you’ve moved out some of the negative thoughts and feelings, and of course if there’s more left, continue tapping on it until the emotional intensity is down to at least a 3 on a scale of 1-10.
When you’re ready, move on to tapping some more affirmative phrases. Here are some to get you started.
Tapping Towards the Positive (tap around all the points)
- This remaining decision stuff – I’m starting to let it go.
- I’m releasing the leftover anxiety.
- I’m letting go of the frustration.
- I’m choosing to trust myself.
- I like the feeling of taking charge.
- I choose to trust my resources.
- I allow myself to maximize all my resources.
- I’m carrying forward my wisdom from past decisions.
- Each decision is giving me more practice.
- I honor my own courage and strength.
- I appreciate my gift and talents for making good decisions
Let’s hear how this works for you! Leave a comment below and share your decisions.
If this is a bigger issue for you, contact me for a free consult to discuss possibilities for going deeper with EFT. Let’s shift this challenge to get you where you want to be!