Have you tried EFT for anxiety when you’re facing the unknown, and the EFT just doesn’t work? Sometimes the reason it doesn’t work is because you’re trying to tap away uncertainty.
You can tap away unwanted feelings, but uncertainty isn’t really a feeling. It’s a state of affairs. It’s the truth about the facts in your life – the reality that you don’t know the future outcome of something. That’s why your tapping isn’t working. Uncertainty is your reality and EFT doesn’t change reality. But it can change your feelings about reality.
There’s Another Way
I’ll show you how this works. OK – there are things coming up that you’re not sure about. You can’t predict the future and the outcomes of everything. That’s true.
There is uncertainty. And probably change on the horizon. That’s true. So don’t try to make it untrue with your tapping. It won’t work.
Don’t try to kid that wise part of you that knows since you’re facing the unknown, it’s time to be extra-aware. It’s time to watch for pitfalls. It’s time to check your past experience that might be related. That’s the wise thing to do when approaching something new. And there’s nothing negative about that at all! Anything new always involves some unknowns and some uncertainty.
It’s human nature to resist change. Our bodies and brains are built to maintain the status quo. You know — if it works, don’t fix it. So you can expect some of that inner resistance. It’s a natural process — again, not a negative thing. So don’t waste time being angry at yourself, denying that resistance shows up, feeling hopeless about it, etc. Just let a little resistance be a step that you go through on your way to making a change.
Change What You CAN Change
The part you can change is how you feel about all this uncertainty. You have a choice about how you respond to the unknown.
What really helps is to tell the truth about what’s going on and then let go of the anxiety that’s attached to the truth. That’s how you can do effective tapping when you’re facing something new. That’s how you can face uncertainty without anxiety.
Tapping – Start With The Truth
- Even though I feel anxious about uncertain things in my life right now, I want to love and accept myself.
- Even though I have uncertainty in my life, I want to choose a different way to feel about it, and I respect my courage.
- Even though I don’t know what’s going to happen, I’m choosing a new way to respond, and I appreciate myself for that.
- Something’s changing. Something new is happening. That’s the truth.
- There are some things I don’t know about that are coming up. And I don’t like it.
- It’s making me nervous and I wish everything would just stay the same.
(Tap a few rounds of just telling the truth about your uncomfortable feelings.)
Tapping In The Positive
- I don’t have a crystal ball, so I can’t be certain of the future.
- That’s the truth and that’s OK.
- It feels good to be aware and alert so I will make good decisions.
- I choose to be confident as I’m moving forward.
- What if I got excited and curious about it?
- That would feel so much better.
- I think I want to try that this time. I’m choosing to wonder about the possibilities.
- It feels so good to be calm about changes.
- I don’t know exactly what will happen, and that’s OK.
- I choose to hold onto my wisdom and awareness, and gently let go of the worries.
- I trust myself to bring my best to whatever’s next, and that feels great!
This shift in perspective can help a lot with turning uncertainty into just another thing that you step on through as you move forward. Try this and let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below.
If anxiety is a pattern for you, maybe it’s time for some higher-level EFT with a practitioner. I’d be honored to help you transform that old pattern into something more useful — and something that definitely feels better! Contact me and let’s discuss options for you.