As the new year starts, you probably thought about how you want it to be different. And you might have made some plans to make it happen. But the minute you did that, the minute you declared your plans, a weird thing happened.
Suddenly the obstacles seemed much bigger than when you were wishing or dreaming about your changes. What looked like speed bump in your path has turned into a rhinoceros in the road!
Here’s why you don’t need to worry. Something completely natural has happened. In fact, you’re now much more able to deal with those obstacles.
When you set a goal, a resolution, or an intention, doubts that were lingering in the background are now right in your face. Little fears about your abilities have suddenly grown. In fact, you even find yourself with new ones to add to your list.
You see, when you shifted from a dream to a plan, everything got more concrete. And this includes the questions you have about carrying out your plan. Those questions may appear as worries, fears, or doubts. But they’re good questions! They’re just hidden inside the feelings that make you uncomfortable.
When your desire was just a wish or a dream, it was a little foggy, a little nebulous. And so were your concerns about it. They were easier to push away or stay lost in the fog.
But when you took the bold step to clarify and declare your goal, your concerns also clarified themselves. That’s how your brain works. It’s completely natural.
NOW you have some real questions you can find answers to. Dig underneath those obstacle thoughts to see what the question is.
- “I can’t do this” becomes “How can I do this?” Now you can find what you need. Your answer might be to get a coach or a buddy.
- “This will take forever” becomes “How long will this take?” You can ask an expert or buy a book to guide you so you can lay out a realistic path for yourself.
- “It’s too late for me” becomes “Who else has done this at my age?” Google will give you examples, and may lead you to an online group of peers to support you as you achieve your goal.
DON’T MISREAD THE SIGNALS
So many clients I’ve worked with have misunderstood this clarification of objects in their path. They thought their sharper perception meant negative things like:
- This is a sign that it’s the wrong time for me.
- This is a clear indication that I’m trying to stretch too far.
- This means my goal is not in alignment with my true path.
I love helping them make their goals a reality by releasing the negative emotions that have come up, and neutralizing the emotional impact of those great questions their brain has generated.
The good news is that reducing anxiety opens you up for clarity. With a clear mind, answering those questions that arise gives you a detailed action plan. And that’s what it takes to accomplish your goal.
So think big! Don’t water down your goals. Plan for a great 2018 filled with exciting changes. I’ll be cheering you on all the way.
For more support, come join our community of like-minded life-changers in my Facebook group Mindset Design Studio.